” Thief girl awakens gift and fights for a chance to elevate status.”
Ling Qi, a girl from a poor district, is found to have talent. This means that she has the ability to become an immortal. Because of this, she is taken in along with a number of other gifted kids. Ling Qi must now fight for resources and knowledge alike. Surrounded by immortal descendants, Ling Qi must see if her hard work and street smarts are enough to survive in her new environment.
- Was it Good? Loved it
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how engaging was it? 8.5
- 1=Too lazy to finish
- 5=Put down a few times to do other things
- 10= Finished in nearly one session
_Slow start that ramps up toward the end_
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
- Will I remember any of the story or Characters after reading this?
- The main thing I will remember about this story is ling qi. This girl is the perfect mix of cunning and dense protagonist. Due to her upbringing, she has a hard time understanding or expressing positive emotions. She’s in survival mode for most of this book, always on the lookout for schemes or potential enemies. Yet, despite her intellect, she sometimes falls for the simplest traps. She is not socially inept exactly but has huge blind spots. This book is perfect for people who like underdog protagonists. Ling Qi’s set of powers in this book is also interesting. Her strength is tied to the songs she can play. Each song alters her surroundings in a different way. She is a natural support fighter who can buff or debuff everything in a certain area. For some reason, though, my favorite fights of hers are the 1 on 1 duel.
- Was there anything that took away from my enjoyment of the story?
- This is book one, so I give it a bit of a pass. Yet most of this book is just one big training arc. Yes, there are exciting moments, fights, and relationship drama. However, a lot of the book is just about Ling Qi studying or practicing alone. The high moments are great, but the low moments can be pretty dull if you have a short attention span like me. I swear, sometimes I feel like an adrenalin junkie who needs his fixes fast and often.
- Am I going to check out more from this series or author?
- So, I’ve read the first two books in the series and am now about to start the third one as soon as I’ve finished what I’m currently reading.
- Lastly me. Feedback, suggestions, or recommendations are always welcome.
- Please let me know if you like these short reviews or if you would prefer longer content.
Anyway, thanks for reading!